Wednesday, February 15, 2017

A Day at the Races

Upon entering Watkins for the time this year familiarity overcame me. Driving into the gate felt old to me like I have frequented this establishment for decades. The big Watkins Glen International Raceway flag rippling from the hilltop breeze. People with clipboards at the kiosk waiting for your signature. I think what really made this familiarity come to life was driving under the tunnel where the top of the esses are. That to me is the real "gate" to the track.

In the distance were sounds of an old 914 Porsche gurgling anticipating the new asphalt. Then my ears were filled with revs screamin' down the front straight. Behind me was a diesel engine pulling a trailer accompanied by an E46 M3. Just like mine!
I couldn't smell the diesel exhaust but I could sure imagine it. Instructors were already on the track testing out the new pavement. Tires being chewed by the asphalt and big 16" rotors off-gassing only whetted my appetite.

Can you taste it?!

Steering the car into the garage/pit area proved to be the defining moment when my hunger and thirst heightened, longing for track time. Similar to Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde! Within seconds emotions transformed my civil law abiding self into an evil drooling Tadmanian devil. My stomach turned and butterflies flapped their wings inducing anxious adrenaline.

That's all for now!!!

Except for this last note: As I hit the publish button and feeling ashamed I haven't written in awhile I happened to scroll down to see when my last post was. Exactly one year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment