Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Trying to drive

So, at a young age 15 my step mother decided to take me out in our third of a mile driveway and teach me how to use a clutch. Simply put, we both tasted what we had for breakfast. As the car lurched forward the whole third of a mile down the driveway we were both grinning from ear to ear because of my ignorance. 
(not actual car)

It was a black Renault Alliance with tan interior. I liked it. Really I liked being in any car. My senses and emotions extended far beyond anything I ever felt. The mere fact of extending the capabilities of my hands and feet, as well as my vision, was something I was never able to describe. 

Anyway, Donna described to me what to do. I can't remember exactly what she said, "let the clutch out as you push in the gas". Simple enough. I think we went fro zero to twenty in two seconds. The engine quit. Ok no big deal lets try again she said. 

Time went by and by and I was doing pretty well with the clutch and I go my license. My father said I could use the car but gave me a twenty five mile limit. Well, I went to pick up my friend went to Naples and came back to drop him off at home. I looked down and the odometer showed I had traveled twenty six miles and I wasn't even home yet. As I stated earlier I was pretty ignorant. Using my intelligent ignorance I decided to travel  backwards for a few miles. Going forward puts miles on the car so backing up should delete miles, right? WRONG! As I turned around at the end of the driveway ready to go forward to house with my head high thinking I was really smart I looked down at the speedometer. Oh my god! The speedometer said the same thing. I knew I was going to get it. With my tail between my legs and my head hung low I slapped the shifter into first and let the clutch out just like my stepmother told me. Ow! the sound coming from under the hood was not good. A knocking sound that wasn't any usual knocking sound. I had bent the rods in the engine. Oh f???!

My driving career ended for a little while until my Dad accepted my stupidity as young ignorance.

Whew! 

No comments:

Post a Comment